Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day2: 4A's Media and Leadership Conference, Austin

I am at the Hilton in Austin for the 4A's Media and Leadership Conference. First of all, I'd like to apologize for the 4A's to Robert Earl Keen, that giant of a talent who had the misfortune of playing after dinner last night at the banquet. I moved up close to hear him. He was solo guitar and voice. But the people had been drinking for at least an hour before dinner and through dinner and there was a lot of conversation going on. He played many of his stalwart songs, including The Road Goes On Forever. But he walked off with no encore. Most in the crowd did not seem to care as they were engrossed in their conversations and libations. He's probably played for tougher crowds, but maybe not ruder. He did not seem to be happy as he left. But I personally loved the opportunity to hear him.

There are lots of people here, including many old friends in the business. I saw Bill Harvey last night who I have been working with and friends with since the early 70's. Nice to know that some of us are still standing. Bill, for those of you who don't know him is and always has been one of the foremost media futurists in the business. These days he is running TRA which is working on new methods for TV targeting. In his youth, he invented the concept of the ADI. (DMA today). He's had a storied career and I hope to have lunch with him today.

Earlier yesterday, I was at the Hyatt Lost Pines outside of Austin at the iMedia Brand Summit. Again, a situation where there were many long time friends and business associates. Mediasmith client Jocelyn Chambers from Citrix Online (GoToMeeting, etc.) and I took the main stage in the early afternoon to talk about data enabled buying. This is the use of consumer profiles to target the right message to the right person (all anonymous of course). I think it went over well.

Steve Sarner of tagged.com was nice enough to send a car service to pick me up at Lost Pines and deliver me into the Hilton at Austin, where thanks to Amex, I am upgraded to the concierge floor.

Off to the conference today. I will try to tweet (mediadls) some things. A lot of social events tonight. Maybe more music in a better setting for the artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment