Friday, March 11, 2011

Homeless CEO's?

I read with interest a few weeks ago that there are two kinds of attendees at SXSW. Those who plan out their moves and those who parachute in. I have run into multiple CEO's who decided at the last minute to promote their wares somehow. They can get into the conference, trade show and events for a price, but there are no hotel or condo rooms within 35 miles. San Marcos appears to be the closest venue. One CEO I had dinner with last night opined that since bars stayed open until 4AM and opened again at 6, he only had to sleep in his car for two hours! I prefer my one bedroom suite at the Omni within walking distance of everything. There is a financial incentive for UT students to take in folks in their dorm rooms. Fraternities should be renting out rooms.

There is music everywhere. Coming back to the hotel last night, one bar band was doing a great cover of Led Zep's Black Dog. Note for note. And with style. On the plane last Sunday from SF, I opined to my seatmate that I had NEVER seen so many carry on instruments of all sizes, guitars, mandolins, fiddles, etc.

The SXSW Tech conference starts today...This is Day 6 of my stay in Austin. Karen arrives this afternoon for the weekend. Should be great.



1 comment:

  1. Are you able to share any homeless CEO hygiene stories?

    ReplyDelete